Hong Kong is one of the most populated places on earth. With fantastic places to visit, there are more than enough sights to keep you busy during your stay.
Best time to visit
The best time to visit Hong Kong is around mid-October and late December. During these months the temperature is mild.
Hong Kong has high-tech transportation so getting around is pretty simple. There trains and buses make it easy to travel between Hong Kong Island, Kowloon, and the New Territories with 27 ferry routes.
Where to stay
In Hong Kong, you can find affordable places to stay in the Tsim Sha Tsui and Central areas. The Tsim Sha Tsui is close to everything you need to see in Hong Kong, so it’s your best option. You can go walking to Avenue of Stars, go to Hong Kong Island by ferry or to MTR. Mong Kok which is only a few stations away.
Places to visit
- Disneyland and Ocean Park – Get in touch with your inner child again. Visit Mickey Mouse, the sea creatures and have fun with the Giant Pandas at Ocean Park.
- Po Lin Monastery – This monastery was built in 1924, and it’s situated on Lantau Island. It’s more commonly known as the “Buddhist Kingdom in the South.”
- Victoria Peak – this takes you to the top of the Peak, which reaches 1,700 feet above the water. Here you can view the skyscrapers of Victoria Harbor and Kowloon and glaze at the beauty of the surrounding hills. Once you are on top, you will get the sense of how vast the city is.
- Madame Tussauds Hong Kong – This is a museum that exhibits wax figures of about 100 celebrities.
- A Symphony of Lights – Every night at 8:00 pm you can admire outdoor shows with laser lights and involves more than 40 buildings.
If you are into shopping, you must visit the street markets. The best places to go are Stanley Market, Ladies Market, and Temple Street Night Market.
If you prefer to shop at malls and shops that you have to go to CauseWay Bay. At CauseWay Bay you will find independent fashion retailers, the best department stores, and the Times Square shopping mall.
You can also go shopping at Mongkok. Here you will find cheap jeans, watches, handbags, and copies of designer versions.
Foods and Drinks
Hong Kong is famous for its great foods. Below you will find some of the best dishes.
- Dim Sum – you can find it mostly in tea houses. It ranges from braised chicken feet to shrimp filled har gao. You can have a taste of one of the best Dim Sums at Lin Heung Teahouse.
- Roast goose – this is marinated in a blend of over 20 spices and aromatics and roasted using charcoal.
- Soy sauce braised pigeon – pigeon is a dark, succulent meat with more flavors then duck. An excellent place to have a taste of this wonderful dish is at Fung Lam Restaurant.